The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ("Ontario SPCA") is committed to protecting privacy, and recognizes the significance of maintaining confidentiality, accuracy and security of personal information. This policy outlines, among other things, the type of personal information that is the subject of collection, how the information is maintained, and instances when the disclosure of personal information is permissible. This policy is subject to change in accordance with revisions to relevant legislation and, therefore, the Ontario SPCA recommends periodic visits to this website and/or contact with the Ontario SPCA's Chief Privacy Officer.
- The collection of personal information by the Ontario SPCA via this website or otherwise is carried out in accordance with the following: The Ontario SPCA is accountable for the personal information of donors.
- The Ontario SPCA is responsible for the information under its control and has designated one or more individuals who shall be accountable for compliance with its policies related to privacy and confidentiality.
- The type of information that the Ontario SPCA collects includes:
i) Contact information of donors, such as name, telephone number, address and email address;
ii) Information pertaining to a donation, such as amount of donation, date of donation, whether it was in honour of a particular individual/organization;
iii) Financial information, including credit card information and banking information;
iv) E-mail address related to receiving the Ontario SPCA e-newsletter, Newshound and special events notices.
v) Information pertaining to personal interests in particular campaigns.
vi) Information pertaining to pet adoptions such as date, adoption fee and name of animal
- The Ontario SPCA is clear about the purpose(s) for the collection of personal information:
i) The Ontario SPCA will identify the purpose for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. Any information collected will be used only for the purpose/s stated at the time of collection.
ii) The Ontario SPCA collects your IP address for statistical purposes only.
iv) The Ontario SPCA collects your name, contact information (address, phone, fax and email), banking and credit card information for donation-related and adoption-related purposes.
v) The Ontario SPCA collects your e-mail address through an online sign-up form for those who choose to receive our e-newsletter, Newshound and special event notices.
- The purposes for the collection of personal information by the Ontario SPCA include:
To fulfill the requirements of Canada Revenue Agency for the issuance of tax receipts.
- The Ontario SPCA asks for your consent prior to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information. The Ontario SPCA obtains consent for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information in the following ways:
i) Express written consent;
ii) Consent via online donation form;
iii) An exception to the requirement to obtain express consent is in special circumstances or where otherwise permitted by law.
- You may withdraw your consent or refuse to provide consent altogether.
Once the Ontario SPCA is advised in writing that you do not consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information (or no longer consent), it will halt the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information within a reasonable time.
- The Ontario SPCA limits the collection of personal information:
The Ontario SPCA shall limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information will be collected by fair and lawful means. The Ontario SPCA uses personal information only for the purposes to which consent is obtained, unless use is otherwise permitted or required by law.
- The Ontario SPCA will retain the information for as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was collected. The retention of personal information is directly related to the length of time necessary to achieve the purposes for which the personal information was collected. There is no standard time frame for the retention of information given that the purposes for collection of the information vary. When the Ontario SPCA determines that the retention of personal information is no longer necessary, it will be deleted or destroyed.
- The Ontario SPCA endeavours to maintain complete and accurate information. To the extent reasonably possible, the Ontario SPCA will exercise diligence to ensure that your information is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- The Ontario SPCA undertakes the necessary steps to protect and safeguard the personal information that it has in its possession
i) The Ontario SPCA shall protect your personal information with security safeguards consistent with the sensitivity of the information.
ii) Any personally identifiable data about customers or website visitors is stored securely and used only for the purpose stated at the point of collection.
iii) The Ontario SPCA will exercise reasonable care in the storage and destruction of personal information to prevent unauthorized access.
- You have the right to access the personal information the Ontario SPCA holds about you. Upon written request, the Ontario SPCA shall inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of personal information and provide access to that information at a reasonable cost and within a reasonable time.
- The Ontario SPCA may deny or restrict access in circumstances related to the investigations process.
- You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed and request appropriate amendments.
- Ontario SPCA law enforcement functions are allowed to use, collect and disclose personal information in accordance with those exemptions found in PIPEDA, and which permit these functions to be carried out properly and in the public interest (such as where the Ontario SPCA is conducting an investigation).
- For more information on the Ontario SPCA investigative policies, please contact the Ontario SPCA's Chief Inspector, Connie Mallory, at 1-888-668-7722, extension 342.