The Markham Cat Adoption & Education Centre depends on the warmth, generosity and skills of our volunteers. People like you provide comfort to the many animals in need. If you love animals, believe in animal welfare philosophies, and want to help us in our lifesaving efforts- we promise you a rewarding and satisfying volunteer opportunity. You can volunteer daily, weekly, or make a one-time commitment.
How to Become a Volunteer with the Markham Cat Adoption & Education Centre located at 7755 Bayview Avenue, Markham ON.
- All volunteers must be 14 years of age or older
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Willing to work closely with cats
- Be reliable, punctual, team-oriented, understand customer-service principals
- Must have genuine compassion for animals and animal welfare philosophies
- Markham residences most welcome
- Free from allergies affected by ongoing exposure to cats/ animals
- Good interpersonal skills, compassionate and welcoming, and able to interact with clients and visitors when required
- Pay attention to detail
- Must be able to take direction, but also to work independently
- Accountable, reliable and punctual
- Must be available to attend training at our Provincial Education & Animal Centre located in Newmarket Please note: This Centre is not located on a bus route.
Applicants to our volunteer program are accepted based on suitability, interest, skills and our available positions. Due to the high volume of requests we cannot guarantee a placement for all qualified applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are the successful candidate, Basic Introductory Training and Placement Training will be provided. Once your training has been completed, you’re ready to begin; we will add you to our volunteer schedule.
Please note: If the responsibilities of a volunteer position involves authority over or the trust of persons who are vulnerable members of society (such as children, seniors, or persons with special needs), a vulnerable sector screening police records check will be required before the commencement of the volunteer work.